September 11, 2020
Chicken Tinga Tacos
Makes: 6 servings
Time: Prep time – 10 minutes Cook time – 10 minutes
- ½ Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ large sweet white onion (chopped)
- 2 medium cloves garlic (diced)
- ½ Tablespoon fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin (depending on taste preference)
- 1 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (chopped, ½ if you like it less spicy)
- ½ can Original Ro-Tel (5 ounces, including liquid)
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 6 corn tortillas (6” tortillas)
- 2 ripe avocados (sliced or mashed)
- Juice of ½ lime
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons red onion (diced)
- Crumbled cheese (optional, for garnish – cojita is best, but feta also works)
- Lime wedges (optional, for garnish)
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and swirl to coat.
- Add the onion and cook until just translucent and tender (roughly 3-4 minutes).
- Add the garlic, stir, and saute until fragrant (roughly 30 seconds). Add the oregano, stir, and saute until fragrant (roughly 30 seconds – 1 minute).
- To the skillet, add the salt and cumin, stir to combine. Allow the seasoning to toast for 3 seconds.
- Add in the chipotle pepper and Ro-Tel. Stir to combine. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the sauce ingredients to a high speed blender. Blend until completely combined and smooth.
- Return the blended sauce to the skillet and stir in the cooked shredded chicken.
- Saute for 1 – 2 minutes, or until the chicken is fully coated and starting to crisp.
- Mash the avocados and mix with lime juice and salt.
- Toast the corn tortillas (on a warm dry skillet is easiest).
- Coat each tortilla with mashed avocado, then add in chicken tinga, and top with a sprinkling of cilantro, red onion, and crumbled cheese.
This recipe doubles, or even quadruples, beautifully if you’re cooking for more people or want to meal prep for the week.