February 2nd, 2020
Beer Cheese Dip
Makes: 8 servings
Time: Prep time – 5 minutes, Cook time – 10 minutes
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- ½ cup pale ale beer
- ½ cup Half-and-Half (10% cream)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¾ cup freshly grated cheddar
- ¾ cup freshly grated pizza mozzarella
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt (plus more to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper (plus more to taste)
- Start by making a roux. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk to combine.
- Add in the beer, half-and-half, Dijon, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and paprika. Stir to combine. Continue cooking while stirring until the mixture has nearly reached a simmer and has thickened considerably.
- Add cheese and stir to combine. Continue stirring until the cheese has melted and the dip has a smooth consistency.
- Add the salt and pepper, taste and adjust to your preference.
- Serve immediately.
Serve with pretzel bites, soft pretzels, or tortilla chips.
It’s best to grate the cheese yourself for this recipe because pre shredded cheese is typically coated in starch, which makes the consistency not great when it’s melted.
If this dip is too thin, add in more cheese. If it’s too thick, add in more 10% cream. Just keep in mind that it will continue to thicken as it sits. If you know that you want your dip a little on the thicker side, start with 1 cup shredded cheddar and 1 cup shredded mozzarella.
This dip doesn’t reheat very well, so it’s best to make it just before you plan to serve it.