August 12th, 2021
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper (stem and seeds removed, chopped)
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 2 medium cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- Pepper (to taste)
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- Fresh parsley (diced, for garnish)
- Fresh cilantro (diced, for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C).
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Once it’s hot, add the oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- Add in the bell pepper, onion, and salt. Saute, stirring often, for 5 minutes (or until the onions have softened and are translucent). Add the garlic, paprika, cumin, and red pepper flakes and saute for 30 seconds (or until aromatic).
- Add in the tomato paste and the can of tomatoes with their juices. Use the back of a spoon to break down the tomatoes. Stir to mix everything together, then bring it to a simmer, and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Carefully taste (it’s hot) and season with salt and pepper.
- Use the back of a large spoon to make wells to crack the eggs into. Crack an egg into each well. Transfer the skillet carefully to the oven, and bake for 8 to 12 minutes. The eggs are finished baking when the whites have set and are opaque, but the yellow is still jiggly when you shake the pan. The eggs will continue cooking after they come out of the oven.
- Use oven mitts and both hands (it’s heavy) to remove the skillet from the oven and place it on a trivet. Sprinkle the crumbled feta and diced herbs on top, and serve.